Albert Einstein College of Medicine has contracted with the company, XiltriX, for our cold storage monitoring needs. This monitoring and alarm system is used for -80 freezers, -140 freezers, and cold/warm rooms across campus.
Accessing the XiltriX Monitoring System at Einstein: To access the system, please click here.
Getting Started with XiltriX: We have created a “Quick Reference Guide” to help you get started. Here is the PDF of the guide.
We have also created some trainings videos that you will find below.
Jump to section: How does it work? | XiltriX Training Videos | Enroll my device | Update emergency contact | Need emergency freezer | Repair/maintenance | Contacts
How does it work?
With over 30 years of experience, Xiltrix (https://xiltrixusa.com/) provides real-time monitoring for -80 freezers, -140 freezers, and cold/warm rooms across campus. This includes:
- Temperature and Door Open/Close Status
- Email, Text, and Phone notification for alarm conditions
- Cloud-based interface for real-time status of all equipment
- Customizable user access roles, alarm escalation protocols, and automated reporting
- 24/7 support and safety net for unanswered alarms
The system depends on having a reliable source of information, so to monitor device status accurately, sensors are installed on each device. These sensors consist of two components:
- An industrial grade temperature probe.
- A door contact sensor that will provide information on whether the door is open or closed, and temperature recovery times after a door was opened.
The temperature probe is installed on each device through an access port (on the side or back), and is mounted inside the unit to provide continuous trending data. The door contacts will be mounted on the outside of the device.
Please note that all devices that have been inventoried will have the sticker shown below placed on them. If your device does not have this sticker, please contact engineering.
Here are some examples of what this system can do: https://blog.xiltrixusa.com/laboratory-safety-net.
XiltriX Training Videos
How do I enroll my device in the monitoring program?
For newly purchased -80s and -140 freezers, please submit a work order to the engineering department to have them install a probe and door contacts on your device.
For other items, such as -20s, liquid nitrogen dewars, incubators, etc, contact Randy Osi in Procurement for pricing and device enrollment information.
How do I update/add contact information to my device or change other device settings?
Login to Xiltrix Saturn to update your current contact information on a device, to add new contact information or to change alarm settings such as the max/min temperature range. New lab members can be added to a device(s) by submitting a request on the XiltriX support page and providing the name of their PI to gain access to the system and visibility to lab devices. Please contact the XiltriX SafetyNet support team via email or via the request support page on their website for additional assistance.
My freezer failed. Is there an emergency freezer that I can use?
Shared Emergency Freezer Program Policy:
The College provides emergency freezers across the campus for use by investigators when a lab-based freezer fails and temporary storage is needed while repairs are made. These freezers are not to be used for storage of samples on a long-term basis. Storage should be limited to a maximum of 2 weeks. Investigators must fill out the sign-up sheet posted on the freezer to log their samples. If additional time is needed, an email should be sent to the administrative contacts located on the sign-up sheet on the freezer to request an extension. Failure to comply with this policy will result in your materials being discarded.
80⁰C emergency freezers are located in the following areas:
- Forchheimer Rooms 231N, 323NC, 527NC, 722S
- Price Room 132B
- Kennedy Room B51B
If a repair is needed on one of the devices listed above, please email the administrative contacts listed on the sign-up sheet posted on the freezer and inform them of the problem. The department will contact the vendor to schedule a repair. If you need to remove your samples due to a freezer malfunction, please use one of the other freezers listed above.
If I need repair or maintenance on my device, what should I do?
Procurement Services has negotiated pricing with Cryostar Industries for the service and maintenance of all the following:
- -80 freezers
- -20 freezers
- +4 refrigerators
- Refrigerated incubators
- Water baths
The service and maintenance (Type 1) will be performed twice annually.
The pricing for a Type 1 service of any device will be $95 or less.
Please contact Randy Osi, Purchasing Manager, at (718) 430-2068 or email@example.com for further information.
- To enroll your device, please submit a work order to the Engineering department for newly purchased -80s and -140 freezers, to have them install a probe and door contacts on your device. For other items, such as -20s, liquid nitrogen dewars, incubators, etc, contact Randy Osi in Procurement for pricing and device enrollment information.
- To update your current contact information on a device, to add new contact information, or to change alarm settings such as the max/min temperature range, please login to Xiltrix Saturn. Please contact the XiltriX SafetyNet support team via email or via the request support page on their website for additional assistance.
- For repairs or maintenance on your device, please contact Randy Osi, Purchasing Manager, at (718) 430-2068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For anything else, please contact the XiltriX SafetyNet support team via the request support page on their website.