Financial Aid

SNAP Benefits Information


What is SNAP? 

College students may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP, previously known as "food stamps," is a U.S. government program that helps people with limited income purchase food. SNAP benefits are provided through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card that you can use like a debit card. It is the largest federal program aimed at combating hunger and food insecurity.

What is food insecurity? 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life.

What does Food Insecurity Look Like? 

Food insecurity can be experienced in a number of different ways, for example:

  • Increased anxiety and stress about the cost of food.
  • Eating a limited variety of foods. Consistently eating the same, few, low-cost foods and feeling like you need to compromise the types of food you eat to save money.
  • Increased concern that your food supply may run out or run low before you have enough money to buy more.
  • Eating less than you would like to or less frequently than you prefer to save food or money until you can get more.
  • Skipping meals or whole days of eating because you have run out of food and do not have the money or resources to get more.
  • Having to choose between buying food and buying books and other supplies for your college courses.
  • Sometimes being comfortable having enough to eat and other times needing to ration food or skip meals to get by.

How do I apply & Eligibility? 

You can apply for SNAP online!

  1. Go to ACCESS HRA. (If you have an ACCESS HRA account, log in. If you do not have an account, you will have to create one.)
  2. Select SNAP – Apply. Complete the online application. You will be asked several questions about yourself and your household (see sample application to view questions). Some questions will require you to submit documents with your application to verify the information you provide (see SNAP Documentation Guide). You can upload your supporting documents using the ACCESS HRA mobile app.


You can also apply by mail
Call the HRA Infoline at 718-557-1399 to have an application mailed to you.

If HRA needs additional information, HRA will contact you. If HRA has everything they need, HRA will make a decision on your case and send you a notice. Please remember to submit as many documents as you can using the ACCESS HRA Mobile app.

Food Bank

To utilize local food banks in the area please view the links below:



Information For:

Tuition & Fees and Financial Aid

Masters in Bioethics 

School of Nursing 

MD Program 

New Students

Welcome to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Office of Student Finance. Learn about the many options available to you, from student loans to payment plans.

Student Accounts 

Through Student Accounts, you can pay your bill, check on your refund or disbursement dates, or apply for an emergency loan.

Recent Graduates 

Find information on loan repayment, consolidation, public service loan forgiveness, or Einstein and Homan loans.

Click here to log in