Impact of study abroad on mental health
Study abroad can have a significant impact on your mental health
- Increased vulnerability to loneliness, depression, anxiety, or suicidal thoughts
- Existing problems can become worse
- Treatment for mental health problems can be hard to find outside the U.S.
Know that it is very common for students to receive treatment for mental health issues during college and study abroad.
Consider Disclosing Voluntarily
Create a support network: disclose mental health conditions to your group leader or advisor before you leave.
Mental Health Emergencies
If you or someone else is having suicidal thoughts, tell someone who can help right away:
- Call your doctor's office
- Call the local emergency services
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency room
- Tell your faculty or program director, or someone else leading the trip
- Don't leave a suicidal person alone, even for a second